Monday, August 4, 2008

The Rains Came Down and...



No mention of our spring and summer would be complete without mention of the floods we encountered. You truly cannot imagine the amounts of water. Lakes in which I have hunted - ones usually located hundreds of yards from roads, and at least fifty or sixty feet in elevation below such roads rose and rose and rose until they spilled over roadways, engulfied houses, ruined railros lines, etc. Cedar Rapids - 20 miles north - was inundated and the interstate that connected Iowa City to it was flooded over and closed. The University of Iowa campus was inundated all along the river, completely flooding the arts campus, the English and Journalism buildings, and the Main Library. Work on my prospectus (where I am in the dissertation writing process) ground to a halt and we escaped to Ogden and the gracious librarians at Weber State who gave me visiting scholars privileges where the work continued for a couple of weeks before we went North (and then South) for vacation. As you can see, the kids didn't mind all the rain and water a bit...

4 comments:

Fletch said...

This has been a year to beat all others, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey, by the way, I can't see any of your pictures. Is that just a glitch on my own computer? I'm really bummed about it. I mean, you can't call your blog "The Bradford Pictures" without any visible pictures, right?

Keith and Allie said...

Oh my long lost friends! How the heck are you guys! (besides wet!) I feel bad we missed you while we were all in Utah! Glad to see your cute family is well! I love your blog updates...keep it up!

The Summerhays Crew said...

FINALLY!!!! Except we NEED pictures. Love you guys and miss you :)

literaqueen said...

Ohhh . . . when I talked with grad. school friends about the Iowa flooding, we always said, "What about the poor people who are working on their dissertations?" That's YOU! I hope you didn't have too many setbacks. At least you didn't have flooded lab equipment . . .